HSP is Elaine Aron's acronym for Highly Sensitive Person. This is a post from her today:
Dear HSPs,Sorry this is late. You will read why--travelling. And I guess this is a travel issue, although this is a good season to stay home, too. Longer days mean more time to be in nature, where we do downtime best (besides meditating or resting in bed). If you work during the day, consider taking a long walk after dinner or make your dinner a picnic. Walk home in moonlight around the dates of June 23 and July 22. Even far from any light you can see your way with full-moonlight.
Such a good reminder! When I come home from work I often make a beeline for my pajamas- in the fall and winter. Spring and Summer light and warmth keep me in daytime clothes longer.
And then there's tonight. I went out for a much needed ladies night with another doula sister of mine. I have accepted oldness. It's cool. it's midnight and I'm home from my wild night out. You know what? I had to choke down the mead. My body simply does not like alcohol at all anymore. It was nice to be around people in public in a party, chill out mentality, but there's so often that meat market mentality too. It really wasn't that bad at all tonight, but enough to where I was totally cool with being home by midnight, in my pajamas, writing to you. Going out and getting drunk does not appeal to me like it used to and tonight is the first night that I have actually been able to grasp that. It's not much for me. It's not about avoiding it because I'm scared of the social scene. It's about having done this all before. A lot. And I'm fuckin' over it. Maybe I am getting old. I look forward to the process. In the meantime....
You know what is so fucking cool about that? It's that I choose to be here. I choose to be cuddled on my bed with my sweet puppy writing to you after my not so crazy night with my doula sister. And that makes me so happy. It makes me happy that I am getting older and to the point where it is totally cool if you don't want to party hard. It's expected. Not like I don't have other vices. It's not about that. It's particularly alcohol and that scene I want to avoid. I want more from connection with people than that. Don't get me wrong. A lot can happen on a dance floor. But I want to intentionally meet people in a space of connection
You know what is so fucking cool about that? It's that I choose to be here. I choose to be cuddled on my bed with my sweet puppy writing to you after my not so crazy night with my doula sister. And that makes me so happy. It makes me happy that I am getting older and to the point where it is totally cool if you don't want to party hard. It's expected. Not like I don't have other vices. It's not about that. It's particularly alcohol and that scene I want to avoid. I want more from connection with people than that. Don't get me wrong. A lot can happen on a dance floor. But I want to intentionally meet people in a space of connection
No comments:
Post a Comment