Well, I would say the ultrasound was pretty uneventful. The best part about it was my 4 year old was with me and was SO mellow!
It's weird seeing one's internal organs on screen, and yet it's not. It's not because it's so hard to tell what the heck you are looking at! I found myself wondering, "why are they pausing there? Are they pausing because they are seeing something concerning? What the heck is THAT white spot? OMG is that a tumor on that unidentifiable blob? Is that unidentifiable blob an organ? Why do they keep telling me to take a deep breath and hold it and then forget to tell me to exhale?"
The x-ray tech said she didn't see anything concerning but the radiologist would know more. Meanwhile just the pressing on my abdomen with the ultrasound wand (for lack of a better term-- in other words I have no clue what they call it) was triggering my pain and tenderness in my liver/gallbladder area. A couple of hours after I left I was feeling a lot of pain and discomfort and this evening I have been quite nauseous with some flu-like symptoms as well.
My doctor's nurse called me this afternoon to tell that everything looked "fairly normal". They took images of almost all my major organs. Well this is promising. Right?? And a major let down. Or is it? I am growing weary of chasing my symptoms down this crazy rabbit hole. Just tell me what's wrong and I'll fix it. I heard how inconclusive ultrasound can be for gallbladder issues. So are my results inconclusive or are they positive? But in this instance "positive" news could be negative. Because if gallbladder is not the issue, what IS the cause of all these symptoms? The nurse asked me if I was experiencing the "gallbladder" pain at the time of the ultrasound. No. I was not. AFTER the ultrasound and all the poking and prodding I was. Well, I see the surgeon tomorrow so hopefully he can shed more light.
Meanwhile someone I know told me today that her daughter had this issue too and ended up with an inconclusive ultrasound so was sent to a gastrologist who discovered she didn't have gallstones, she had "gall sludge". She was quite pregnant at the time but they ended up going in anyway and removing it during her pregnancy.
Hmm. Sludge. A new research trail.
No comments:
Post a Comment